Ford Motor Company
Challenge: Support Ford Motor Company’s sustainability strategy, stakeholder engagement and performance through multiple business cycles on its road to leadership in sustainability and transparency.
BuzzWord Solution: For 16 years, BuzzWord provided the content for the Ford Corporate Citizenship and Sustainability reports. The reports were important tools for dialogue and engagement with diverse stakeholders, facilitated development of Ford’s sustainability strategy and goals and helped build Ford’s reputation as a leader in sustainability. In 2005, BuzzWord developed and carried out a pioneering materiality analysis that helped to refocus Ford’s strategy and reporting on a set of key material issues. Ford has maintained its commitment to reporting through good times and bad. Its reporting helped the company forge strong relationships with stakeholders, develop a more sustainable business model and reinvent itself as a successful global automaker that leads in fuel economy, safety and innovation.
- 2012/13, The KPMG Survey of Corporate Responsibility Reporting 2013 singled out Ford as one of only two U.S. companies to score more than 90 of 100 points for reporting quality.
- Ceres/ACCA reporting awards: 2006/07, Best Sustainability Report in North America; 2008/09 first runner-up; 2004/05 and 2009/10, shortlist of finalists (top 5)
- Honorable Mention for “Most Innovative CSR Disclosure Policy.” Corporate Secretary Magazine 2008 Awards.
- Recognized for “Relevance and Materiality” in CSR reporting, Corporate Register Reporting Awards, 2007.
- 2003/04, top auto sector report, second best U.S. Report. Standard & Poors/UNEP/SustainAbility Global Reporters assessment
- 2002, North American Sustainability Reporting Commendation. Ceres/ACCA reporting awards.
- Ranked No. 6. in FORTUNE 50’s “Measuring the Transparency of Environmental Sustainability Reporting through Websites”
- SIRAN S&P 100 Sustainability Report Comparison. 6 of 6 rating (one of only 5 given).
Global Reporting Initiative Status:
- 2014/15 report GRI G4 in accordance comprehensive, GRI Materiality Disclosures checked
- 2006/07 to 2013/14 A-level G3 reporting
- Pilot tester and “in accordance” reporter with 2002 GRI Guidelines
- Reporting strategy
- GRI analysis
- Materiality analysis
- Report content development
BuzzWord was a vital part of Ford’s reporting journey and helped launch the company’s very first sustainability report. Over the years they guided Ford through the adoption of GRI and web-based reporting, as well as the development of a pioneering approach to materiality analysis. BuzzWord provided the skills, insight and expertise we needed to produce award-winning sustainability reports that were compelling and transparent.
Sustainability Reporting Team, Ford Motor Company